I invited fellow-author Bonnie Swineheart to be a guest on “View from the Sheepfold.” I met Bonnie at a writers conference and learned about her book Benjy and the Belsnickel in 2018. What’s a Belsnickel? You’ll have to ask Bonnie or read her book.
1) When did you discover you wanted to be a writer?
I think the real writing bug hit me in junior high. I would write poetry and journal entries. I later took Expository writing, composition, and journalism classes that I really felt at home in.
2) Has the road to publication been different than you expected? How?
The road to publication was definitely a lesson in patience and perseverance. It was a long road but one well worth taking.
3) How did you come up with the idea for your book?
I attended an event that featured a Belsnickel which I found fascinating. I combined the folktale with stories my parents told me about growing up in a one-room schoolhouse, and thus Benjy the prankster was born.
4) Tell us about your book, Benjy and the Belsnickel.
It’s a middle-grade chapter book for kids 8 to 12. It’s funny and endearing and has a bit of mystery to it. Both boys and girls can enjoy the book since there is also a strong female presence in the book. Adults have said they enjoy the book because it brings back memories of their childhood.
5) How can readers purchase your book?
The book is available through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.
6) Are you going to write more books? Are you working on another now?
Yes. I am writing a sequel to the first book, so Benjy will be back.
7) What would you like readers to know about you?
Writing and publishing a book has been a life-long dream of mine. It is a wonderful feeling to know I have accomplished my dream.
Thank you, Bonnie.